Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Branding – Part 1: Why No Presence Can Be Better Than a Bad Presence


First off, let me start by saying that I’m not advocating for credit unions to have no presence – quite the opposite. But I will stand by the idea that anything worth doing, is worth doing right. This is especially true of well-executed and consistent branding by your graphics and marketing teams. 

Better than bad, or worse than good?

Allow me to illustrate this point with a little story. I put myself through college performing as a professional mobile DJ. My weekends consisted of weddings, graduation parties, sporting events, festivals and fundraisers. Coming up as a young freelance entertainer, I've had several mentors to which I owe a great deal.

One of these mentors was an amazing DJ and emcee – probably the best I’d ever worked with – but his business sense and company presence wasn't quite there. His website, business cards and collateral materials lacked consistency. Colors and fonts changed from piece to piece and page to page, photos were pixelated, and the designs, plain and simple, were not attractive. It was a hard subject to broach, but I always felt that his poor design and execution drove more business away than it attracted.

I took this as a lesson and sprung some extra money for a professional designer. My website, business cards, letterheads and other related collateral had a sleek and professional design that matched throughout. If you put our two companies side by side, there was no question that potential clients would gravitate towards my services, while in reality, he had much more experience and expertise (I was certainly no slouch, but just being honest). Here are a few examples of some well executed and consistent branding. It’s plain to see how much of a difference good branding can make.

What this means for credit unions

Your credit union’s design is your credit union’s first impression; it is your identity. It sets the tone for the relationships that you will build with your members. In a consumer-driven society, you’re vying for time with every other sign, billboard, commercial or mailer that an individual comes in contact with, and the decision to review your info and services is made in a matter of seconds. You might offer the best rates, lowest fees and excellent customer service, but none of it matters if you’re not able to bring new faces in the door.

Deciding to re-brand is not a decision to take lightly or make in jest. It is a big commitment that needs to be thought out and contemplated from many angles. In part two of this post, we’ll look at specific goals and tips for developing an effective, attractive and consistent appearance for your credit union.

If you think it’s time to consider a re-branding of your credit union, an investment in professional graphic services with CU Solutions Group can underscore your marketing efforts for years to come. Contact us to today!


No comments:

Post a Comment